Friday, August 24, 2012

Here's What is Blooming at 7900', Late August by Tina Ligon

It is August 23 and one can tell that we are closer to the Fall equinox than the summer solstice. The days are noticeably shorter and the nights a little cooler. I still have lots of tomatoes that need to ripen and you know the time is limited. I start to get a little panicky this time of year, not quite ready to let go of summer.

So today, I took a walk around the yard to remind myself what a glorious time of year it is. Even with our inconsistent water supply this year there are lots of plants blooming. My most impressive flower displays are those on the outside of the so called “beds.” For example, here is a mix of flowers that I am not sure I would have come up with but look how great they are. There is the bright yellow of the Grindelia squarrosa (Curlycup gumweed), the rust colored display of  Eriogonum umbellatum (Sulphur flower), a touch of pink with a late blooming Geranium caespitosum (Parry geranium), and all blended together in a cluster of Artemisia frigida (Fringed sage).

Bahia dissecta (Yellow ragleaf).
 Scattered around the yard is a plant new to me, Bahia dissecta (Yellow ragleaf). It is a flower that I have to admit I just haven't paid too much attention to until recently. I have been watching the plant grow and wondering just what it is. I finally did some research and found its name today and it is a native to boot. All too often I discover it is yet another noxious weed when I do this research so this was a pleasant surprise.

Allium cernuum (Nodding onion)
 





Machaeranthera bigelovii (Tansy Aster)



 

The yellows do seen to be promenient this time of year but there are some purples and whites also like this later blooming Allium cernuum (Nodding onion), a Machaeranthera bigelovii (Tansy Aster), and this splash of white, the Erigeron speciosus (White fleabane).


Erigeron speciosus (Showy fleabane)


But trully living up to theircommon names is the Showy Goldeneye (Heliomeris multiflora) highlighted with a touch of Showy fleabane (Erigeron speciosus). So get out there and enjoy this wonderful time of year. I noticed that although there is a blooming nodding onion, I also saw one that had gone to seed. So using mother nature as your guide, why not collect some seeds and scatter them to make some some new displays. So what is blooming at your place? Feel free to comment, would like to hear what is blooming at different elevations.



1 comment: