Thursday, May 31, 2012

Such an Early Spring! By Irene Shonle

Fairy Slipper Orchid --  Calypso bulbosa


Everything is so early this year!   We had the odd sixty degree day in March, and everything seems to be at least three weeks ahead of schedule.  Snow melted early, aspen leafed out sooner than I have ever seen, and even the hummingbirds broke their earliest arrival record by a full week.  What a difference from last year, when the spring was slow to come and rainy, and the record snows took forever to melt off the high country.
On Memorial Day, my husband and I took a walk in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  To my surprise, the Fairy Slipper Orchids (Calypso bulbosa)  were out, and many had already begun to fade.   I usually don’t even start to look for them until after the first week of June.  I guess I should have realized they would be way ahead of schedule, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment